Friday, November 30, 2018

There is Power in Song

I love listening to Christian music. I play music in my classroom constantly. I love the power, Gospel, and love in them. Songs move me. It is interesting how songs will just hit you at the right moment too.

Have you ever been in a moment when a Scripture verse pops up or a song comes on and it is just perfect for you situation? It is eerie, right? That is 100 percent a God-thing. God may not talk to us like the Old Testament, but He still definitely does. His Word is Him speaking to us. But those things that pop up exactly the moment we need them? He is definitely speaking to us as well. I truly believe this.

I have two examples of songs that just hit at the right moment from the past months.

The first is the early morning of Emerson's first open heart surgery to put the PA Band on. It is early, like 4:30 in the morning early. My wife, my mom and myself are in the car driving to the hospital. No one is talking. Nerves are on edge. The first song that comes on the radio is Beautifully Broken. A snippet of the song:

You're beautifully broken
And you can be whole again
Even a million scars
Doesn't change whose you are
You're worthy
Beautifully broken
You're beautifully broken (beautifully broken)
You're beautifully broken
Oh, the God who made the stars
Is the God that made your heart
And he's holding you right now
He can heal the broken parts
And make beauty from the scars, the scars
Beautiful scars!
Woah. Like really? Of all the songs, this is the song that comes on the moment we drive to the hospital for heart surgery? How calming that experience was. Still looking back it gives me shivers.
My second song is actually a song I use to blast in class all the time. I never really thought about the lyrics, I just liked the song. The song is Move (Keep Walkin'). The chorus:
I know your heart been broke again 
I know your prayers ain’t been answered yet 
I know you’re feeling like you got nothing left 
Well, lift your head, it ain’t over yet, ain’t over yet so
Move, keep walkin’ soldier keep movin’ on 
Move, keep walkin’ until the mornin’ comes 
Move, keep walkin’ soldier keep movin’ on 
And lift your head, it ain’t over yet, ain’t over yet

I was doing my "hospital walk" (literally just walk around the hospital) one day, engrossed in my own thoughts and prayers, this song came on. And it hit me hard with what the chorus was actually saying. There have been more times when I have been weak than strong through this whole experience. And this song just gives me the power and hope to keep going and to keep fighting. 

God gives power through song. The Holy Spirit uses the words to help us. And when these things happen the exact moment when you need the words, it is awe-inspiring. God is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment